Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Quiz: Jon Stewart Leaves The Daily Show

Although not a show I am familiar with, I saw the network president's statement.  Statement Analysis teaches that our statements contain our linguistic finger prints.

What do you learn from this statement?  Post your findings in the comments section.
Follow principle.
"He who asserts, must prove" helps limit the propagation of ignorance.

It is short, but does it tell you anything about the writer, her relationship to Jon Stewart, the network, the show, etc?

Michelle Ganeless released the following:

“For the better part of the last two decades, I have had the incredible honor and privilege of working with Jon Stewart. His comedic brilliance is second to none. Jon has been at the heart of Comedy Central, championing and nurturing the best talent in the industry, in front of and behind the camera. Through his unique voice and vision, The Daily Show has become a cultural touchstone for millions of fans and an unparalleled platform for political comedy that will endure for years to come. He is a comic genius, generous with his time and talent, and will always be a part of the Comedy Central family.”

9 comments:

John Mc Gowan said...

I thought she may have began her eulogy with the pronoun "I" this would then connect her immediately to her statement.

Ie: "I" have for the better part of the last two decades, had the incredible honor and privilege of working with Jon Stewart etc. Other than that i cant pick up on anything negative in her statement or out of the ordinary, although i am tired :/

Buckley said...

I would think having the "I" close to the verb "had" as she does shows better ownership of the statement. It would seem awkward to have 10 words in between the subject and verb.

She says worked WITH him, so we must question if it's a good relationship, though "we worked together" kind of takes some focus off the intended subject of the praises, so I'm inclined to think the preposition is more about sentence structure than distancing. She uses "his" where we might expect more "he"s. She uses positive adjectives like "unique." Possibly she heaps on the praise a bit much, but it was a show that got her network a lot of viewer$ so she should make superlative statements about him. If I presuppose truth, I don't see enough to make me think the praise is insincere. She doesn't say she'll miss him, so I'm not going to assume she will.

Dee said...

The writer begins with his full name, a proper introduction. She then changes to calling him the more casual Jon and he. I think they have a friendly, or at least cordial, working relationship.

Sus said...

This is what I take away from the statement:
-Michelle Ganeless and Jon Stewert have a working relationship. (With)
-They may have disagreed some, but they had a common goal. (his unique voice and vision)
-Though she greatly admires him, and knows what he did for the network, she sees it as a group (family) success. (has been at the heart)
-I'm not sure, but she may be saying The Daily Show has no place with any longer. Are they going in a new direction? New shows. (Emphasizes it's one show on their network. Dropped pronoun on last phrase.)

I have to go google why he's leaving.

GetThem said...

She sounds infatuated.

Unknown said...

I've seen online that some are speculating that Stewart will be replacing Brian Williams.

I think that's a long shot, because Stewart is comedic in his delivery of the news, and that has been the entire platform of the Daily Show. (Although I don't always agree with him politically, I find him hilarious, and his take on the news is always good for a laugh, and a different perspective.)

The Nightly News would have to be taking on a MAJOR shift in tone, to be able to pull that off. (I really can't see Stewart having any credibility as a 'serious' host, because there are 100's of hours of recorded footage of him making fun of the MSM.

Highly doubtful, but I guess we'll see!

(I also can't imagine a scenario where Williams actually returns after his suspension. What do you guys think? Is he so arrogant that he would come back if he was allowed, or will he hang his head in shame, and move on?)

Buckley said...

Nah, he's done. He'll start writing fiction, which he's pretty good at. I doubt Stewart will be anchor but then I thought it was odd Anderson Cooper got the high profile CNN gig after The Mole.

Unknown said...

True, Buckley!

St To said...

Peter you aren't familiar with this show ?

Well do you need sense of humor to find the genius hilarity of it.